Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Decorating Sugar Cookies- Developing Talents

I am an avid fan of awesome flyers and always put time into making mine. Anything to spruce it up and get people thinking "the activity will be awesome because this is an awesome flyer"! 
This activity is teaching the girls to use flood icing to make adorable sugar cookies.  The girls loved this activity so so much! So this is the best sugar cookie recipe ever and I will never replace it.
Taste of Home Recipe
1 cup softened butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 1/4-1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
refrigerate dough for an hour. Roll to 3/16 thickness on a lightly floured and white sugar surface. (I always mix some white sugar on my floured surface so the cookie still taste lightly sweet and not floury). Bake at 350 5-7 minutes or till set. Cool on the sheet 2 minutes before removing.
 These puppies on the pan above are totally cooked. Sugar cookies do not need to be brown to be done cooking. Just check the middle of the cookie and make sure it looks cooked.


 For flood icing Royal Icing is used because it will harden. I picked some easy cookies for the girls. They did 3: a dog, bunny and dinosaur. The dogs black spots bled a little because we did not have the time to let the white harden completely during the activity.





 Here are my girls decorating their cookies. I had a demo cookie for me. I had the girls watch me do one step on my cookie and then they did the one step I demonstrated and then we did the next step together. I had 11 girls attend and it worked out just great.

These girls are so talented making cookies and they didn't even know it! These girls are holding the cookies they decorated themselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment